The River Fund Maine Scholarship
The River Fund Maine Scholarship is focused on enabling local youth to achieve their educational and career-oriented aspirations. Each year, one local student will be named the River Fund Maine Scholar and receive a scholarship to support the attainment of a BA/BS or equivalent four-year college degree in the student’s chosen area. The River Fund Maine especially encourages recipients to envision, and prepare themselves for, careers in entrepreneurial and leadership roles. The objective is to assist talented students in developing an education plan that leads to a fulfilling and rewarding career, not just a job.
The River Fund Maine Scholar will receive up to $20,000 each year to cover the cost of college tuition and fees, room and board, books and educational supplies. The scholarship is renewal for up to three additional years and is intended to allow a student to gain a college degree and graduate without crushing debt. The scholarship recipient will also have access to financial counseling, internships, and professional mentoring to help them map a successful path through the college or university experience.
Congratulations to our 2020
River Fund Maine Scholar
Luci Rothwell of Bryant Pond, Maine is The River Fund Maine’s inaugural Scholar. She is a Telstar senior and is attending Central Maine Community College through Telstar’s advanced learning program which allows students to enrich their educational experience by taking advanced course work. On track to enroll in Husson University’s Five-Year Accelerated Program in Occupational Therapy, Luci’s educational aspirations reflect her junior year opportunity—shadowing an occupational therapist at Rumford Hospital—and her deep commitment to her local community. Ultimately, Luci plans to return to Western Maine to work in OT at a local hospital.
“Luci Rothwell has been the perfect example of a student athlete leader and friend in her time at Telstar not only to her peers, but the younger students in our district as well,” says Mark Kenney, Telstar principal. “She is a committed and dedicated student who is going to continue to do great things as she heads off to Husson University in the fall. I am very proud of her and wish her nothing but the best.”
The purpose of this workshop is to expose youth to a creative problem-solving strategy called Design Thinking. Developed by Stanford University, Design Thinking takes a real-life problem and challenges teams to develop a solution. During an immersive weekend at Sunday River Resort and led by trained facilitators, youth will be challenged to:
- Develop interviewing skills when they must talk to people who actually experience the problem in their daily life. Understand how to really listen to other people with empathy.
- Learn how to identify what the “real” problem is. Differentiate between the root cause of an issue and the surrounding contributing factors.
- Work as a team to brainstorm solutions. Understand effective communication techniques when working with others to arrive at a consensus.
- Create a workable solution. Understand how an iterative approach encourages thoughtful experimentation. Experience how an open mind to the thoughts and ideas of others can improve a result. Develop skills in how to forge agreement on a single solution from many points of view.
- Create an effective presentation of the team’s solution and present it to a panel of industry experts.
- Make friends, learn cool stuff, win prizes and have fun!